Tuesday, May 26, 2015

© Nippy Blair 2015. Posts and pictures on this blog cannot be copied, downloaded, printed, or used without the permission of the blog owner, Nippy Blair
 


After all the storms and flooding around us the last many days in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana, I feel compelled to pull up something I wrote quite a while ago. I am reminded that no matter what, God is still there and still concerned for our well being.

THE ELECTRICAL STORM 
 
 
 

I was asleep. Sound asleep. The deep sleep where ones experiences seem to meld together and people and places from different eras seem to float around with the present and everything appears so normal. The noise penetrated my muddled dream with such force that I was no longer certain whether I was asleep or awake and experiencing some horrific nightmare. It was an electrical storm. I heard the frightening noise again and discovered that I was sitting straight up with my hands clasped tightly over my ears.

“There was not supposed to be a thunderstorm, just rain,” I said to no one in particular, “not tonight. The weather man had said it would be clear and sunny by morning.”

The sky thundered again, sounding as if a section of the world had broken off and that at any moment the sky would come crashing down, not as rain but huge chunks of broken shards of pottery, their sharp edges penetrating the atmosphere like a sci-fi movie gone bad, vomiting toward earth only to break apart again in smaller equally destructive chunks.  Instinctively I covered my head and melted under the pillow, bracing for death only to find it didn't come. I peeked out from the covers just as another round of noise reverberated against the house causing it to shake from fear. For a brief moment I felt as if I were at a rock concert, too close to the stage, the sound eradicating what little hearing I had left.

Looking out the window, expecting to see mass destruction and pieces of pottery crashing down upon me, I could only see blackness. Total blackness, even on this city street. The power was out, yet the power was there. I could hear it and was confused.

Another sound barrier blast shoved me away from the window, but this time I saw a yellow tongue flicker across the horizon, like a Gila monster catching it's meal. The tongue searched the dark recesses of the sky after each sonic boom, desperately trying to find anything it could lash onto. I tried to blend into the wall, hoping it would not smell my scent and seek me out for it's next appetizer. I stood there frozen in place, afraid that any movement on my part would be detected and life as I knew it would suddenly come to an end and the tongue of this evil monster would find it's mark.

Then I noticed it was almost daylight and I got to experience something I have never seen before and probably never will again. The sky still felt as if it were falling apart and that I would be sucked through the hole created by the explosion, left to float eternally in empty space, but there was light appearing in the distance, through this hole. It penetrated the black sky slowly, angering the darkness that skulked away whimpering.


 

I stood mesmerized as the aquas melted into the oranges and yellows and blues of a new day being reborn. The sun was rising and all the glorious colors of sunrise began to push the electrical storm away. True, the storm was still there, angrily lashing it's tongue toward the golden orb that boldly subdued the night sky.
  This light was more powerful than the terrifying darkness.
 
  This light was conquering the electrical storm and I was thankful that there was a God who cared for us and gave us hope for a brighter tomorrow. 
 
 All this reminded me of a hymn we sang at Dry Creek as a teenager: "Peace Be Still" by Mary A. Baker
"Master, the tempest is raging!
The billows are tossing high.
The sky is o'reshadow with blackness,
No shelter or help is nigh.
Carest thou not that we perish?
How canst thou lie asleep,
When each moment is madly is threatning
A grave on the angry deep?
The winds and the waves shall obey his will,
Peace be still.
Whether the wrath of the storm tossed sea,
Or demons or men, or whatever it be
No water can swallow the ship where lies
The master of ocean, and earth, and skies;
They all shall sweetly obey thy will,
Peace be still!  Peace be still!
They all shall sweetly obey thy will,
Peace, peace be still!"

No comments:

Post a Comment