Wednesday, April 22, 2015


                                                       MAMA AND THE JADE STONE
 My mama had a mischievous eye. Occasionally she delighted in bringing it out to wink in merriment.. Once when she and I were returning from Grandma and Grandpa George's house in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, she decided we'd drive to New Orleans and spend the night before coming home. I thought nothing about it because I was used to these excursions with Mama.

We stopped for lunch somewhere near Magazine Street. While sitting in the booth, Mama began eavesdropping on the people sitting just behind her. They were talking about a certain large expensive piece of jade from Burma they had seen on Magazine street, and had come all the way from Dallas to purchase it. During the conversation the couple mentioned the shop's name and described the jade in detail. They were going to the shop as soon as they finished their meal. Mama looked at me, a twinkle in her eye, “Quickly finish your meal,” she said. “I know that shop. Let's have some fun.” We rushed through our poboys and left straight for the shop. When the people arrived to acquire the jade, they found Mama at the counter holding that beautiful stone trying to decide whether or not she would purchase it. She kept going on and on about its quality and how her daughter would love to wear it at her wedding. “Don't you think, Nippy,” she said, “wouldn't that look good on your sister?” I nodded, used to playing along. Mama stood silent for the longest time before putting it down. She started to walk away but quickly returned to the counter and examined it some more. The couple was restless and nervous. Finally, Mama asked the owner to hold it for her, that her daughter was in the shop next door and she wanted her to see it as well. Could he hold it while she retrieved her daughter? “It won't take a second,” she said, “I'll even leave my son here until I return.” He agreed. The couple was devastated. I watched the color leave their faces. The wife was about to cry. The man, standing there in his cowboy boots and leather Stetson hat, looked like his temper would flare at any moment. I was afraid that if mama walked out that door he would be rude and force the owner to let them procure it - after all, they had come all the way from Texas for this stone. Mama turned, smiled and greeted the couple while walking to the door, opened it and left. The couple just stood there not knowing what to do. I turned my back on them, afraid to look at the man with the Stetson hat. Shortly, Mama returned and said, loudly, from the door. “Oh, never mind about holding that jade. I can't find my daughter. Come on Nippy, let's go. I changed my mind concerning the jade.” The expression on that woman's face was priceless, tears smeared her mascara. The man practically knocked me down rushing to the counter, checkbook in hand.

Mama and I stood outside on Magazine street laughing.

Mama should have gotten a commission.  

4 comments:

  1. I have always loved this story and you have retold it even better and with more detail than I ever heard it before! Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather, I'm sure we all have our "family" version.

      Delete
  2. Funny story, Nippy! Love your Mama! She was one of a kind and was always so sweet to me.

    ReplyDelete