Saturday, April 18, 2015


APRIL SHOWERS



There is nothing better than seeing children splash around a flooded street. We got close to 5 inches of rain late Thursday and my question is this...aren't April Showers supposed to disburse over the entire month and not land in one lump sum? In two hours time, the Lord drained the heavenly lake. I'm surprised we didn't see the entire cast of water creatures come tumbling down. Maybe one of those angelic children forgot and left the celestial hose on or his mama got distracted filling that sacred bathtub letting it overflow (surely child angels get dirty tumbling all over the clouds)Whatever, it made an impact here. The water came over our sidewalk which is very unusual for this area of town. It is a strange feeling to see pirogues floating down the street...So I took off my shoes, rushed out the door, paused on the front porch and proceeded in...it was so cold, that first rush of water up past your knees. A flood (pardon the pun) of memories fought for attention in my mind. I was like a child again laughing and splashing around in the street. People stood on their porches and stared. Some murmured things I'm not privy to share. It was total freedom. I was reminded of the Negro spiritual, Wade in the Water...”Wade in the water. Wade in the water, children. Wade in the water, God's gonna trouble the water.”

My sweet mother-in-law died in January and we sold her house on Thursday. The new buyers knew beforehand that it was located in a flood zone behind Brame Junior High School on land that once was my daddy's cotton field. They could have been grandfathered in on the flood insurance but chose not to do so. My heart goes out to this family that just hours after closing had their house flooded. I feel for the daughter that was to live there so she would have a safer place to live. God did trouble that water...well, not God exactly. I know He didn't just say, “See that area of Louisiana down there? I'm mad at them and think I will send so much water on that area that they think Noah has come back to town.” No, we all know better. God doesn't work that way.

It makes me want to question why we, my wife and I, received a blessing for selling the house before the flood and they, the new family, were cursed for buying the house before the flood. But I can't question that because Matthew 5:45 says “He makes the sun to shine on the evil and the good and sends rain on the righteous and unrighteous.” God doesn't favor my family over others. In this case...it just is what it is.

Today, I am awake to a beautiful blue sky and sun that seems to make the earth feel alive and well, with a crispness in the air that makes you want to strike out on a long hike. Life does go on...”Gray skies are gonna clear up, put on a happy face; brush off the clouds and cheer up, put on a happy face.” It is sad for some but happy for others.


No comments:

Post a Comment