Wednesday, July 5, 2017







 MIRACLES

I witnessed a miracle today. I watched the world come alive while sitting quietly by my window. I stared into the black darkness while sitting in my favorite chair, my dog, Gumbo, in my lap. We gazed into the darkness, our minds wandering to thoughts only the two of us could comprehend. Occasionally, Gumbo would look into my face and quickly bestow a kiss as if to say that she, too, understood what a moment we shared. 

Slowly, from the dusky dark I saw a cloud peeking through the trees as if an angel decided to visit our solitude, teasing us with its hide-and-seek. It appeared perfectly still behind the Sycamore, but as the two of us froze in place I noticed it slowly creeping forward. It was not a large cloud, just a simple little cumulus one trying to liberate itself from its obscurity. If I had not been so still I would not have even noticed its insignificant self in the first place. But there it was, peeking through the branches, tantalizing us. I watched that cloud slowly rise above the tree, scoffing as it metamorphosed to a glowing pink fringed with a yellow outline into its fully white self. We were too mesmerized with the miracle that we failed to notice that the sky had joined the game as well, becoming different shades of color.

And then it happened. The sun in all of its glory peeked above the horizon. Suddenly the whole world seemed to wake. The light became more intense. We watched lazy cats yawn and stretch before leaving their naps to seek nourishment. Birds began to whistle their cheerful greetings. Squirrels chased each other in a game of “you're it”. I expected that at any moment someone would be dancing down the street singing “my, my, my what a wonderful day” while holding their coffee in one hand and the morning paper in the other. It was that kind of day. A day only the movies can make or, at least in this situation, a day in my absurd imagination. 

What a miracle Gumbo and I witnessed, in ten minutes time, the beginning of a new day bursting into being. What a miracle to go from liminality to glory in such a tiny moment of time. Thank you, Lord, for this one miracle and me being still enough to notice.

Tonight, as I compose this, I hear the miracle again as the tree frogs sing their love song to the evening outside my window. 
 
Lord, I pray that I will pay attention to more of these liminal moments and embrace them for the miracles that they are.


© Nippy Blair 2015. Posts and pictures on this blog cannot be copied, downloaded, printed, or used without the permission of the blog owner, Nippy Blair.

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful! You expressed it so well, and yes, sadly, I miss this miracle most every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good piece, Nippy! That glory escapes me as a late sleeper, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying your version of the miracle!

    ReplyDelete